“Community is the spirit, the guiding light of the tribe, whereby people come together in order to fulfill a specific purpose, to help others fulfill their purpose, and to take care of one another. The goal of the community is to make sure that each member of the community is heard and is properly giving the gifts they brought to this world. Without this giving, the community dies. And without the community, the individual is left without a place to contribute. The community is that grounding place where people come and share their gifts and receive from others."
-Sobonfu E. Some, of the Dagara tribe in Burkina Faso
Every resident leads a full and quality life in a racially and economically equitable Montgomery County.
How IMPACT believes positive change happens
By connecting people, building relationships of trust, and exchanging value in an intentional network, across lines of difference. We believe that with enough intentionality, compassion, and practice, a mixed income, mixed culture community can thrive.
- We are human beings first. Our professional positions and identity are secondary.
- We take time to build relationships, and relate to each other from a place of trust.
- We build relationships that are mutual and reciprocal. We believe everyone has something to offer, and something they need. We give equal respect to all kinds of knowledge
- We commit to revealing, understanding, and disrupting racism, hatred, and other forms of oppression.
- We focus on strengths and opportunities, and actively bring forward everyone's gifts and talents.
- We support a local economy, placing the highest value on local capacities, resources, and talent.