If you are interested in job or internship opportunities at IMPACT Silver Spring, please see positions below.
Wheaton Network Builder
About the Position:
The Wheaton Network Builder will work as part of the Greater Wheaton Network Team and will participate in cross-geographical learning opportunities with IMPACT’s Network Builders in Long Branch, Briggs Chaney, and Gaithersburg. This is a part-time position requiring 20 hours per week. Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
Network Building (80%)
• Plan, set-up, facilitate, and evaluate network DOORWAYS, SPACES and ROOMS, and MARKETPLACES.
• Plan and execute outreach and engagement activities including door-knocking, tabling at events, and one-on-one meetings.
• Help organize and facilitate bi-monthly Network Night events and weekly Network gatherings.
• Manage all logistical aspects of community events and activities (outreach to residents, ordering food and supplies, arranging for child care and translators, etc)
• Serve as IMPACT’s “ears on the ground” listening for resident demands, concerns, and interests, for the purpose of developing new and relevant SPACES and ROOMS.
• Continually unearth new people with needed skills, resources, and perspectives and link them into the Network.
• Help people identify challenges and introduce them to others in the Network who can help.
• Model an approach to relationships that is positive, appreciative, and focused on strengths and gifts.
• Encourage mutual support, understanding that talent and wisdom is everywhere and everyone has something to contribute.
• Help with Network training and coaching.
• Provide organizational support for emerging circles and action teams in the community.
Administrative & Communications (20%)
• Regularly update the database with information on Network members and Network activities
• Provide general administrative, communications and project coordination support to resident leadership team and other IMPACT Silver Spring Staff
• Prepare and manage program materials and archival information including: flyers, reminder notices, agendas, notes of sessions, follow up materials, miscellaneous correspondence, etc.
• Support efforts to document the trajectory of the Network in Wheaton through formal evaluations and data tracking, as well as story gathering.
• Computer experience with Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Power Point), and Social media tools (Facebook, Twitter, blogging, etc)
• Genuine belief, excitement and passion for IMPACT’s network-building approach to bring people together across lines of race, class, and culture to create a thriving, multicultural community. Skilled at working with people with diverse backgrounds and comfortable in multicultural settings.
• Willingness to be a pioneer, a risk taker, and a learner who sees what we are trying to do as something new, something worth trying, and something worthy of personal commitment and growth.
• Ability to be open, flexible and adaptable – the emerging nature of our work will require us to be in a constant process of trying out new ideas and approaches, while learning from our experiences and making adjustments.
• Commit to contributing positively and productively to the team by bringing a sense of joy, fun, humor, flexibility, the ‘benefit of the doubt’, and an innovative spirit.
• Encourage the positive contributions and participation of other team members, with a genuine commitment to supporting each other in our shared pursuit.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills for phones, personal interaction, and written communication.
• Ability to initiate, create and maintain relationships with residents, resource partners and other network members.
• Organized, detail-oriented and a self-starter for designated responsibilities, including events and meeting planning and coordination.
• Able to drive with regular access to car.
• Flexible schedule for evening and weekend events.
• Able to lift up to 30 pounds for loading and unloading materials.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a half-time position, with salary in the low $20’s. IMPACT offers paid holidays, annual leave, sick leave and personal days plus a collegial, supportive working environment.